Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mmm, Vegan Mac N Cheese!

I came up with this meal last night.. we are broke, had little in the house but still manage to make a kick-ass meal.

ingredients (amounts are approximate- make it how you like):

16 oz macaroni (we used three boxes of organic "real" mac minus the cheese that my mom gave us)
1/2 cup soy butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2-3/4 cup green onions, diced
minced garlic (to taste)
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup plain soy milk
1 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)
1 cup organic french fried onions


1. cook noodles according to package
2. melt butter into cooked pasta
3. in a seperate pot, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Saute green onions, basil and garlic for 2 minutes, high heat
4. add flour, stir for 30 seconds
5. mix in milk and nutritional yeast, medium heat. Stir frequently until creamy
6. add sour cream, pepper and salt. stir gently.
7. pour "cheese" sauce and 1/2 cup onions over pasta, mix.
8. place into baking dish, top with remaining onions.
(we also added steamed broccoli and mushrooms- placing them on top of the noodles)
9. bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes
10. broil for 2-3 minutes

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. hey!
    I love your first blog, cracked me up. My husband is always pointing out my spelling errors and mistakes. Ummm, hello! i'm typing while doing 30 other things! I am lucky it makes any sense at all! wait, does it make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete